Wednesday, July 27, 2011

YA Girls Made of Awesome


Last week, I wrote a post about guys in YA (mostly) books that were just the bee's knees. Today, it's time for kick arse girls in YA (solely this time.) So here are 5 of my favorite heroines in YA. (Not in any particular order)

1.  Remy King in Hollowland by Amanda Hocking. She's take charge, no time for emotions (but still has them…), and complications ensue as she goes on a quest in a post-apocalyptic world. Just neat. I liked the whole book, and it's 99 cents. Take the plunge, people.

2. Rhine Ellery in Lauren DeStefano's Wither. Was it the best book ever ever ever? Not necessarily, but I give major points for different, and I liked her. Worth looking into, I'd say.

3. Rose Hathaway from The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. If you're going to have a top-notch guy (Dimitri, hello), you have to have a great girl to make the story work. Rose is great. She's strong, and she's believable.

4. Evie from Paranormalcy by Kiersten White. I really liked this book. I really liked Evie. I want to read the second one because the first was playful, and it makes the reader care about Evie. Not an easy feat.

5. Anna from Stephanie Perkin's Anna and the French Kiss. Sigh. I haven't heard anyone (literally) read this book and not like it. It's the perfect contemporary YA romance. It's realistic, and Anna's brain waves are similar to my own. Every time I wanted her to say or do something, she did it. How amazing is that for a reader? Pretty, I'd say.

So, if you haven't checked these out, please do. And if you have, please spill below about whether or not you thought they were super neato keen, because I did.

Now to leave you with a song to write by, "Goodbye" by My Darkest Days. Love it. Listened to this a million times. The album is great. They are great. AND I've seen them in concert twice, and I completely vouch for their awesomeness live. And how adorable is Sal (far right below)? Okay, I'll stop now…


3 comments:

  1. I haven't read these books, but I will add them to my list (esp Anna/French Kiss). I would also add Bianca Piper from The Duff to this list. She was feisty, sexual, sardonic, not your typical YA heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Anna as a character, but I couldn't help feeling the book as a whole was a little overrated. There were SO many cliches (the pillow fight, the blonde out to make Anna's life miserable, the line 'Did he hurt you? I'll kill him') and they would have taken me right out of the story if I hadn't loved Anna and St. Clair so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, I neeeed to read The DUFF. I've heard such amazing things about it. I'm just waiting for my TBR pile to dwindle slightly.

    Gina, it was a great YA chick flick but without the complete gag factor for me. I liked it a lot. (St. Clair helped that)

    ReplyDelete